Mesenteric cyst: incidental finding
Mesenteric cysts are rare benign intra-abdominal tumours. They occur in patients any age, approximately one-third of cases occur in children younger than 15 years. They are generally free of symptoms and incidentally found. The aetiology of such cysts remains unknown but several theories regarding their development exist. The treatment is based on cyst resection. The prognosis is usually good and recurrence is rare. We report a case of mesenteric cyst treated by laparotomy.
2. Kwan E, Lau H, Yuen WK. Laparoscopic resection of a mesenteric cyst. Gastrointest Endosc 2004;59:154-6.
3. Regina LT, Bolina GM, Alberti LR, Petroianu A. Tratamento de cisto mesentérico quiloso. Arq Bras Cir Dig. 2010; 23(2):138-140.
4. Mesenteric cysts and mesenteric venous thrombosis leading to intestinal necrosis in pregnancy managed with laparotomy: a case report
and review of the literature. Giannos et al. Journal of Medical Case Reports (2017) 11:184.
5. Mohanty S.K., Bal R.K., Maudar K.K. Mesenteric cyst – an unusual presentation. J Pediatr Surg. May 1998;33(5):792–793.
6. Pithawa Col AK, Bansal Brig AS, Kochar Brig SPS. Mesenteric cyst: a rare intra-abdominal tumour. MJAFI 2014; 70:79-82.
7. Richard R.R. Mesenteric and omental cysts. In: Grosfeld J.L., O’Neill J.A. Jr., Coran A.G., Fonkalsrud E.W., editors. Pediatric Surgery.
6th ed. Mosby Elsevier; Philadelphia: 2006. pp. 1399–1406.
8. Beahrs O.M., Judd E.S., Jr., Dockerty M.B. Chylous cysts of the abdomen. Surg Clin North Am. 1950;30:1081–1096.
9. Mesenteric cyst in sigmoid mesocolon – A rare location and its laparoscopic excision. Wg Cdr Ameet Kumar, Brig C.K. Jakhmola, Maj
Gen N.C. Arora, VSM, Col S.S. Chauhan. Medical Journal Armed Forces India 71 (2015) S425-S428.
10. A mesocolonic lymphangioma in an adult with peritonitis: a case report. Yuzo Hirata, Yuzo Okamoto, Hirofumi Nakayama, and Eiji
Ono. Journal of Surgical Case Reports, 2017;2, 1–3.
11. Lambregts KWFM, Deserno WM, Heemskerk J. Laparoscopic Resection of a Large Mesenteric Cyst – A Case Report. Int J Surg Res
12. The diagnosis and treatment of a symptomatic mesenteric cyst. Rajendran S, et al. BMJ Case Rep 2014.