SQUAMOUS CARCINOMA OF THE SMALL BOWEL IN A PATIENT WITH A TUMORAL BACKGROUND: METASTASIS?
Introduction: Malignant tumor of the small intestine are extremely rare, with an incidence of less than one in 100,000 patients. The most frequence histology underlying is adenocarcinoma, followed by squamous carcinoma.
Methods: We have carried out a review of the scientific literature about the main epidemiological, histological and diagnostic aspects of squamous cell carcinoma of the small intestine.
Results: We present the clinical case of a 69-year-old man diagnosed with localized small cell carcinoma of the lung, with good response after concomitant chemoradiotherapy (QTRT). During the follow-up period, the patient presented with an acute abdomen due to intestinal perforation. Anatomopathological analysis (A-P) of the small intestine resection piece revealed squamous cell carcinoma with sarcomatoid features and stage pT4pNx.
Conclusions: The interest of this case lies in the metachronous diagnosis of two primary tumors of different origin (small cell carcinoma of the lung and squamous cell carcinoma of the small intestine), being an unprecedented finding in the current scientific literature.
2. Sheng Sun D, Ran Shin O,Mi Ku Y, Kim Y.S, Seo K-J. Squamous cell carcinoma of the small bowel manifesting as a jejunal perforation: a case report Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014; 7(9): 6345–49.
3. Garwood RA1, Sawyer MD, Ledesma EJ, Foley E, Claridge JA. A case and review of bowel perforation secondary to metastatic lung cancer. Am Surg. 2005 Feb;71(2):110-6.
4. Mumtaz S, Ahmad Z, Fatima S, Qureshi A. Squamous cell carcinoma in the small intestine. BMJ Case Rep. 2011
5. Nandedkar SS, Trivedi KK, Malukani K. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the small intestine. BMJ. 2013. Vol 9 (4): 739-40.
6. Chao TC, Chao HH, Jan YY, Chen MF. Perforation through small bowel malignant tumors. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9:430–435.
7. Friedman E, Kwan MR, Cummins L. Squamous cell carcinoma of the transverse duodenum. Gastrointest Endosc. 1986;32:99–101