TOTALLY IMPLANTABLE VENOUS ACCESS DEVICES IN ONCOLOGY: RETROSPECTIVE ANALYSIS OF 652 PATIENTS

  • Filipa Ferreira da Silva Department of Oncology, Hospital da Luz, Lisboa, Portugal
  • Vanessa Novais de Carvalho Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital da Luz, Lisboa, Portugal
  • Pedro Moraes Sarmento Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital da Luz, Lisboa, Portugal
  • Mónica Nave Department of Oncology, Hospital da Luz, Lisboa, Portugal
  • José Luís Passos-Coelho Department of Oncology, Hospital da Luz, Lisboa, Portugal

Abstract

Introduction: Adequate venous access is essential for the treatment and management of cancer patients. Insertion of totally implantable venous access devices (TIVADs) provide a safe method for chemotherapy (ChT) administration, but it’s not free of complications. We aim to analyze our institution clinical practice experience regarding TIVADs.


Materials and Methods: Electronic medical records (EMR) review of all cancer patients that required placement of a TIVAD at Hospital da Luz between January 1st 2008 and December 31st 2014.


Results: Clinical data from 652 cancer patients was retrospectively reviewed. The overall incidence of complications was 14.1% (91), with only 6 (0.9%) being early complications (before the first clinical TIVAD utilization). The most common complications were thrombosis (30, 4.5%) and infections (TIVAD related and cutaneous, 24, 3.5%), followed by exteriorization (13, 1.9%) and catheter dysfunction (11,1.6%). 155 TIVADs were removed, the majority (95, 61.3%) because of end of treatment and the remainder (60; 38.7%) due to catheter complications.


Discussion: Global complication rate was as expected, however we observed a low rate of early complications, and we didn’t observe any potentially fatal complication related to the procedure. Unlike expected, thrombotic complications were the most frequent, followed by infectious complications.


Conclusions: TIVADs insertion is a safe procedure in cancer patients with an apparent low rate of complications with no fatal events identified in this study.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

1. Keum DY, Kim JB, Chae MC: Safety of a Totally Implantable Central Venous Port System with Percutaneous Subclavian Vein Access. Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 46:202-207.

2. Granic M, Zdravkovic D, Krstajic S, et al.: Totally implantable central venous catheters of the port-a-cath type: complications due to its use in the treatment of cancer patients. JBUON 2014; 19: 842-846.

3. Granziera E, Scarpa M, Ciccarese A, et al.: Totally implantable venous access devices: retrospective analysis of different insertion techniques and predictors of complications in 796 devices implanted in a single institution. BMC Surgery 2014;14:27.

4. An H, Ryu CG, Jung EJ, et al.: Insertion of Totally Implantable Central Venous Access Devices by Surgeons. Ann Coloproctol 2015; 31:63-67.

5. Niederhuber JE, Ensminger W, Gyves JW, et al.: Totally implanted venous and arterial access system to replace external catheters in cancer treatment. Surgery 1982; 92:706–712.

6. Schiffer CA, Mangu PB, Wade JC, et al.: Central Venous Catheter Care for the Patient With Cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:1357-1370

7. Gurkan S, Seber S, Gur O, et al.: Retrospective evaluation of totally implantable venous access port devices: Early and late complications. JBUON 2015; 20: 338-345.

8. Barbetakis N, Asteriou C, Kleontas A, et al.: Totally Implantable Central Venous Access Ports. Analysis of 700 Cases. Journal of Surgical Oncology 2011; 104:654–656.

9. Delluc A, Le Gal G, Scarvelis D, et al.: Outcome of central venous catheter associated upper extremity deep vein thrombosis in cancer patients. Thrombosis Research 2015; 135 298–302

10. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Cancer-Associated Venous Thromboembolic Disease. Version 1.2016. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/vte.pdf. Accessed December 2017.

11. Oliveira E, Reis MA, Avelar TM, et al.: Totally implantable central venous catheters for chemotherapy: experience with 793 patients. Rev. Col. Bras. Cir. 2013; 40: 186-190.
Published
2020-07-02
How to Cite
FERREIRA DA SILVA, Filipa et al. TOTALLY IMPLANTABLE VENOUS ACCESS DEVICES IN ONCOLOGY: RETROSPECTIVE ANALYSIS OF 652 PATIENTS. Revista Portuguesa de Cirurgia, [S.l.], n. 47, p. 41-47, july 2020. ISSN 2183-1165. Available at: <https://revista.spcir.com/index.php/spcir/article/view/726>. Date accessed: 24 apr. 2024. doi: https://doi.org/10.34635/rpc.726.
Section
Original Papers